Saturday 25 January 2014

The Plebgate

What makes Andrew Mitchell and Co. think we should all now clamour for his reinstatement or be willing to spend even more hundreds of thousands of pounds on this playground enquiry?

My initial instinct when this originally hit the news was not to believe ANY party associated with the Plebgate business. I wrote a disrespectful piece of verse about this called The Sworn-at Policemen. You can see this by clicking HERE. Chris Williams has now added a lively song version. The recent statements by senior policemen have done nothing to alter my disbelief. All these show me is that the police have decided it is politic to back off at the moment.

Still, there might be a plus side to this ridiculous affair. Perhaps generous budgets will be set so that teachers can treat other playground squabbles with due earnestness?

Incidentally, I love the name PLEBGATE. Usually, adding '-gate' to the name of any scandal is no more than lazy journalism. This time, though, a physical structure, a gate erected to keep the plebs out, is involved. In years to come it will be added to tourist itineraries and pointed out seriously by guides as The Plebgate.

1 comment:

  1. Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening.
    I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this short article
    together. I once again find myself spending a lot of time both
    reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still
    worth it!

    Also visit my website; Louann

    ReplyDelete